Over 1.5 million Canadian’s live with acquired brain injury (ABI). ABI is unique and complex and can impact every aspect of a person’s life. As an often invisible disability, it is essential that health care workers and providers understand both the nuances of brain injury and how it intersects with all facets of daily living.
The Foundations of Brain Injury for Health Care Professionals is the affordable self-paced course designed specifically for health care and service professionals to enhance their knowledge of brain injury, enabling improved, customized and informed care.
What you will learn
- Causes and types of brain injury;
- How injury affects the brain;
- Physical, cognitive, behavioural, and emotional effects;
- Dealing with challenging behaviours;
- Focus on person-centered care;
- Intersectionality and brain injury;
- Cultural intelligence in care:
- Supporting families;
- Self-care and preventing burnout and compassion fatigue
This course is multi-modal for the best possible self-directed learning experience, including:
- Videos from experts in the area of brain injury to provide an evidence-based, research-supported lens
- Videos from individuals sharing their personal accounts of living with the effects of brain injury, ensuring a valuable educational resource powered by lived experience
- Downloadable resources & further educational opportunities for deeper learning
Who should take this course:
- Physiotherapist assistants
- Occupational therapists
- Occupational therapist assistants
- Speech language pathologists
- Personal support workers
- Mental health counsellor
- Social worker
- Vocational rehabilitation counselor
- Rehabilitation therapist
- Homecare workers
- Long-term care workers
…And any one else working in the brain injury sector.
All course content is evidence-based and has been developed under the guidance of our Scientific Advisory Committee, comprised of researchers and clinicians from across Canada.
Course registration details:
- Course Length: 8-10 hours
- Registration fee: $65.00
Included in your registration fee:
- Access to online course modules for a one-year period
- Downloadable resources
- Electronic certificate of completion
All cancellations must be submitted in writing to [email protected]
We will provide a partial refund less an administration fee of $25 for written cancellation requests received within 7 days of purchase for any self-directed online course which has not been accessed and/or opened.
No substitutions or transfers.