Stories of Acquired Brain Injury

People living with brain injury and their families are sharing their personal stories with Brain Injury Canada to provide hope and support to those across Canada who are having similar experiences.

Would you like to share your story?

Older woman with short grey hair in a blue suit, holding flowers. She's wearing glasses and smiling at the camera, leaning against a person in a suit who has been cropped out of the photo.

My Massive Type 1 Meningioma [brain tumour] was diagnosed when I was 70 years old, having been growing for over half my life. By 2019 it was the size of a large grapefruit. My tumour had been growing for over 40 years. I had 80% removed with the remaining 20%...Read More

Please be aware: before you keep reading, there is a mention of gun violence. On September 25, 1989, when I was 16 years old, I was shot in the cerebellum with a .22 rifle loaded with a mushroom shell. My memories of that morning are not completely clear. I remember...Read More

Eleven years ago, in February of 2013, I was in a car accident. Somehow it always feels important to me to mention that it was not my fault! I am very lucky in that my symptoms, although they are ongoing, were never as challenging as some people experience. This allows...Read More

Please note: the following story mentions assault and violence. I was a victim of a serious assault that caused me a life-threatening injury 10 years ago. While out with friends in downtown Victoria one night, a man ran up behind me and struck me in the back of the head...Read More

I was injured frequently as a result of multiple and hard impacts to my head during a boxing career, when I was of school age and into my early 20’s. I did not have the knowledge as to the severity of the injuries at the time or the importance of...Read More

Hello, My name is Rob V. and I am a brain injury survivor. Every brain has a story, and this is mine. Before July 2012, I had as regular a life as most. I grew up in Orangeville, then went to Ryerson University (now called Toronto Metropolitan)for hospitality. I have...Read More

The contents of these stories, including all text, images, and links to external websites (collectively the “Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be substitute for medical, legal, or other professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.  For medical questions or issues, always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking aid becuase of something you have read in these or any past and future stories. If you think you  may have a medical doctor, call 911 or your doctor immediately. Brain Injury Canada does not endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned in these stories. Reliance on any information from these stories is solely at your own risk.

The opinions expressed in these stories are those of the respective authors and not necessarily those of Brain Injury Canada. Brain Injury Canada will not be liable for any damages or losses howsoever sustained, as a result of the reliance on or use by a reader or any other person of the information, opinion, or products expressed, advertised, or otherwise contained herein. Where appropriate, professional advice should be sought.

Skip to content