Income taxes

Filing income taxes can be confusing, particularly when trying to figure out deductions, credits, and expenses after a brain injury. Here is a brief overview of tax information and resources from the Government of Canada that can help you during tax season.

How to complete and pay your taxes

You can fill out your taxes yourself, ask a trusted caregiver or family member for help, or you can hire an accountant.

If you do choose to complete and file your taxes on your own, there are a few different ways to file your tax returns. The CRA also has a variety of in-person and online payment options for income taxes.

Deductions and credits

If you have a brain injury, you may be eligible for certain deductions and credits on your taxes. For a complete list of disability deductions and credit, visit the Government of Canada website.

Disability supports deduction
Adaptive devices and aids like talking textbooks, job coaching services, and Braille note takers are eligible expenses that you may be able to claim as part of the disability supports deduction. These expenses must have been incurred as a result of your being employed or carrying on a business, conducting research based on a grant, or attending an educational institution.
Disability amount for self
You may be able to claim this if you are eligible for the disability tax credit.
Home accessibility expenses
If you have renovated your home to make it more accessible for yourself, you may be eligible to claim home accessibility expenses.

These are just a few deductions and expenses you may be eligible for come tax time. A full list of available deductions, credits, and expenses can be found on the Government of Canada’s website.

Tax-related services for people with brain injury

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a variety of accessible services. If you are visually impaired, the CRA offers publications and forms in alternative formats—such as Braille, large print, etext, and MP3 audio. If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can use teletypewriter services. Or, with your written permission, the CRA will speak to an operator-assisted relay service for you or arrange to have a sign language interpreter available at a meeting.

If you need help filing your income tax and benefit return and have a modest income with a simple tax situation, contact the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. This program works with community organizations to run volunteer tax clinics across the country.

Additional resources

Financial assistance
There are financial assistance programs that you may be eligible for after your brain injury.

Tips on managing money
It’s important to understand what money you have, how to manage your spending and what savings options are available to you. Learn more about managing money.